Ramp Best Practices for Nonprofits

Hi all! I am a finance manager at a nonprofit and most of the approval/policy steps we have in place for our Ramp expenses are “after the fact”. Example, approving a meal after it has already been charged to an employee’s Ramp card or approving payment on a vendor invoice after the vendor has been contracted. We want our company expense policies to be reflected in Ramp as much as possible. We are considering implementing Ramp travel (and related Ramp travel policies) and additional policies around procurement to ensure employees are meeting government grant contracting and spending policies, prior to the expense actually incurring. Interested in any tips/tricks/features you all would recommend specifically for nonprofits helping employees comply with government grants via Ramp features. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m the controller for a nonprofit in Downtown LA, and we are just starting to bring more of our operations onto Ramp. I would also love to hear any tips/tricks out there.

Thank you!

Hello!
We have a similar issue, even though we use an external procurement system with Sage Intacct. Prior to that we used Procurify, and before that we were on a paper PO system.
Sage Intacct is the closest we’ve gotten to a straight-line from request-to-spend to matching credit card expenses to the request is in Sage Intacct Purchasing, but only explore this option if you’re looking for Cadillac-accounting systems (I have my complaints but we locked in to Sage long before me my taking my position, and it’s worked in our favor in terms of functionality).
If you are using a system without a built-in procurement, Procurify worked well enough for our purposes before. This is still adding another system, which is ideally avoided.
I’ve looked into the Ramp+ procurement and it doesn’t really work for our purposes, but I, like the two of you, am very interested in others’ approaches.
Ramp is consistently always getting better, so I wouldn’t put it past them to implement a better more robust system in the future.

1 Like

Hi @Jake_Folsom, @Andrew_Johnson , @Julia_Mazzola – please keep using this thread as it’s great for other customers to see – but I want to share that I’ve created a “Nonprofit Group” within the forum! I just added you three to it.

Click the three lines beside your icon in the top right → “Groups” → find the Nonpfrofit group.

Hopefully, this group can be a place to share Nonprofit-specific best practices & questions.

Best,
Charlotte